Aim of this Blog
There is something very wrong with the world that we are made to see around us. Human Society is not happy, there is
protest, discontentment, poverty, inequality, greed, corruption, Ego, Fanatics’, Agnostics’, natural calamities occurring with frightening regularity and above all Global terrorism which just does not want to call it a day.In short there is chaos everywhere. One word that can describe all this is “Qayamat”. In Jamasphi” and at many places in our Zoroastrian scriptures like“Chithrem Buyaat” prayers, it is mentioned that time is near for Shah Behram Varjawand our Saviour to come in this Qayamat and revive us and our Deen. The Saviours from other religions will also appear and will work together with a common goal for grooming mankind and his spiritual revival.
The Western Astrology call this as Aquarian age and phenomenon that we see today are occuring with lightening quickness. For we never knew that Communist USSR will disintegrate one day and fragment into many small nations, that Germany will one day be united, the revolution in Egypt, Syria, the fall of dictators, and China a sleeping giant awakening to technological boom are all an indicator that we are very much in this Aquarian age. The transition from the Age of Pisces to Aquarian Age is already taking its toll till we roll into Age of peace and calm. We are looking forward to being Optimistic and not being fatally Pessimists. Please see the link provided:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_of_Aquarius
More than 100 years before in past when faith was at its lowest Nadir in our community without caring for deep religious significance when there was idle talks about futility of our time tested customs like Dokhmenashini, Rituals, Sudreh Kusti being only a symbol, Avesta Manthra prayers being considered as waste of time, faulty myopic thinking that offerings of sandalwood to Atash Padshah being waste of sound monetary resources which could have been better utilized for betterment of our community, lack of faith was the reason behind these ignorance’s. Ignorance coupled with arrogance was, and still is the main reason stymieing our spiritual progress.
The Zoroastrian hidden Masters in Demavand who are very much concerned about our community’s spiritual progress saw the need of sending a forerunner before the advent of Shah Behram Varjawand Saheb, and they chose Behramshah Nawroji Shroff whom his followers lovingly call him as Ustad Saheb. He brought amongst us Zoroastrian Mysticism called as Zarathosti Ilme-Khshnoom.
The word Khshnoom can be found even in our scriptures, so it is not something alien that is thrust on us. It is the revival of the lost knowledge called as Ilme-Khshnoom that our forefathers had with them that kept the flame of faith burning in their hearts, that Ustad saheb brought for us. The literature is penned down by his chosen and authorized disciples late Dr. Saheb Faramroze Sohrabji Chiniwala, and Late Jehangirji S. Chinwala.
Late Ervad Phiroze Shapurji Masani had for so many years maintained his publication “Frashogard” all under guidance of Ustad Saheb. Today we see that day by day our faith is again going downhill. The need of Saviour can only be felt when all seems to be lost towards Traditional cause. It is to rekindle that hope and faith and iron out unwarranted fear of our religion dying a premature death that this Blog will be looking forward to. The aim for starting this Blog is to translate the majority of Khshnoom literature that is in Gujarati writings of Late Chiniwala brothers and Late Phiroze Masani for the benefit of those genuinely interested in Zoroastrian Mysticism .
When there is too much of chaos nature allows it only up to a certain threshold limit, once it crosses the limits it puts a
full stop to it, for nature has its own ways of bringing Order out of Chaos.
So in mean time what are we Zarathosti Bastekustian supposed to do that will hasten the advent of Shah Behram Varjawand Saheb ? Are we supposed to look skywards and wait for him eternally ? His advent will much depend upon us also.
In nature there is a law of “Supply and Demand”. If the demand is there, supply is guaranteed. In Bible it is said that "Ask and it shall be given to you, seek and you will find it, knock and the doors will open to you." ….. Mathew 7:7 Niv. Unfortunately the much needed knock never seems to happen and everybody is busy enjoying their fun filled moments and warns us to keep off limits of their rights and Freedom. But they seem to forget that behind every right that one asks for, there is a responsibility which is conveniently forgotten.
"RTI" also known as "Right to information"is blatantly misused in today's world of so called Freedom . Some want Freedom to enjoy whatever is appealing to them, but is considered as Taboo in Society. Not before all these false ideology will be swept away by fury of nature and realization of folly will dawn naturally aftermath,nevertheless too late by then, but the road will be paved for introducing Shah Behram Varjawand to the world.
In middle of face-off between two warring sides and Chaos, we will come to know the time of Varjawand Saheb's arrival automatically. As a Mother knows intuitively the time of delivery of the baby, we will feel the desperate pangs of labour like a Mother feels before her delivery.
Right now only a few are longing for his arrival but just as "A lone sparrow does not herald a spring" similarly one requires a collective thought force to set everything in motion. For that I had started a short exercise every 7.30 a.m. in morning but unfortunately we don’t seem to realize its importance. Till we are all vibrating with one frequency, other word is called as Hum Mithra, Varjawand Saheb’s advent will be a distant dream only. The exercise is as under to be followed by a Mithra every 7 a.m. or around that time frame. No need to be very rigid about time. The Mithra is as under:-
What is Hum Mithra:-
Man proposes and God disposes. Hence we requires Dadar Ahura Mazda’s blessings all the time for success and that is known as “Daham Afriti”. Without it we cannot move forward even an inch. But for his Daham Afriti to be assessable to us we require to think with one vibration in Hamoi, only then can we succeed in our purpose. Dadar Ahura Mazda is not happy when there is infighting so how can we receive his Daham Afreeti. This one thought force having selfless single pure vibration is known as Hum Mithra. The Law of cause and effect governs this universe so whatever incidents we see bad or good its cause has to be there. Every action has its reaction. The bad precedent that we are facing now after a crematorium is announced in Worli where innocent public are falling prey to it. Those encouraging Aramgah and such ashmogi are themselves the victims of their own deeds so we have to pity them instead of contempt for them and a calming thought has to be passed by us at a particular time collectively. If love is the language of angels then why should we be harsh to even our so called enemies. For in life there are no enemies, and everything is Karmic. The Bhali Dua is as under:-
Bhali Dua at 0730 am every morning:-
2 Yatha , 1 Ashem Vohu.
Those ignorant brothers and sisters opposing our age old customs of Dokhmenashini and believe in universality of our religion by inviting all to our holy places and Iranshah need our pity and not contempt for they are bitten by the demon of ignorance and arrogance. O Paak Dadar Ahura Mazda shower your choicest blessings upon them that they regain their lost faith and begin realizing that the true nature of religion is humility.
"Let no harm come upon the Traditional Zoroastrian flag and its values which are so dear to us. Let the reformists agenda and their nefarious plans never succeed. Let no harm befall upon Pavmahal of India that is - our Iranshah of Udwada and all Atash Behram, Atash Adran and Dadgah of India. Let not one day pass without Atash Parasti and our reverence towards Holy consecrated Fire(Pavmahal),Dokhmas, Sudreh Kusti, Mathravani which acts as a weapon to thwart evil. Enable us to protect our racial traits of Parsi Panu through Boonak Pasbani. Enable us to maintain our true “Zarathosti Khandani” by not intermarrying and continue with our Aryan Lineage intact. May the advent of Shah Behram Varjawand come soon, and before him may his forerunners arrive at the earliest and grant us spiritual strength to withstand evil around us. Let my Kusti Padiav and my Tarikats be helpful to nature to fight for the cause of righteousness against the evil negative forces of Drujis, and may it protect us all Zarathustis and entire humanity who live by their religion and its tenets. "Phiroj baad Khureh avizeh Vehdin e Mazdiyasnan" - Let the Khoreh of Mazdiyasni Zarathosti deen protect its faithful followers"
1 Yatha, 2 Ashem Vohu
Firdosh K Sukhia
Sunday, September 2, 2012
16 qualities of Athornan classified into eight grades of Zoroastrian Priesthood- Yozdathregar Part 8
Click here to see Graph in word file:-
Reference:- Sharuatna Char Divas ane Pachini Kriyao by Ustad saheb and Dr Faramroze Chiniwala Second Edition 1933 Page 53 to 57
Eight stages of Athravan to practice Yozdathegari:-
As per our Zarathosti deen for an Athravan to be eligible and proficient to do all Kriyas or procedures of yasna he has to pass through several stages. In the same way as in school we have different grades and standards in class where we pass one class at a time and gradually proceed further to senior class till we reach top level of Matriculation; similarly same rule applies here also. The more the seniority more is the responsibility. The stages are described as under:-
1) Fraberetar:- The first stage of Athravan to practice Yozdathregari is known as “Fraberetar”. In this stage a Athravan assists his other senior Yozdathregar colleagues in any work assigned to them. As per Philology Fra= to move forth or forward Beretar= to perform errands to bring forth or take, and assist seniors in their day to day functions.
2) Aberetar:- The second stage of Athravan in performing Yozdathregari is known as “Aberetar”. He becomes proficient in all functionary skills pertaining to water. For example correct scientific manner whilst drawing pure well water, the kriyas and Avesta Manthra that go along while drawing well waters. Procedures required to be followed while drawing well waters in Ushehen Geh. Proper knowledge and procedure required to maintain water’s ritual purity drawn in Ujiran geh for ritual use in Aivisuthrem Geh, and why is it forbidden to draw well water during Aivisuthrem geh itself. Knowledge of making any object ritually pure with help of well water, and reason behind following ritual purity rules. How to purify all tools or “Alat” required for Yajasne ceremony using water as medium of purification. As per Philology Ab=water and Beretar= to bring forth or take waters required for ritual purity.
3) Asnatar:- The third stage of Athravan in performing Yozdathregari is known as “Asnatar”. He becomes proficient in giving all types of Nahan, and kriyas or procedures that go along with various types of Nahan. He is proficient in exact procedure of Sisyo Nahan, Barshnoom Nahan, and scientific reasons for performing such Nahans. The number of Karsh required for Barshnum, the reasons and benefits in doing it so. The degree of purity and piety obtained after any Nahan and significance of Sisyo Nahan, Riman Nahan. The benefits of taking a Barsehnum, why use of water is prohibited during Barshnoom, and only nirang is to be used. He should be proficient in minute details of all Nahan and Bareshnoom. As per Philology A- sna= to take bath and Beretar= one who gives Nahan to others.
4) Rathvishakar:- The fourth stage of Athravan in performing Yozdathregari is known as “Rathivashakar”. Such an Athravan is proficient in arranging all “Alats” on “Hidora” for Yajashne Kriya in correct manner as per our deen. Why is “Mahrui” arranged on left side only, why is “Havanim” never kept on left side but always on right hand side. What is “Zor na Fuliya” and its significance. Why is “Varas ni viti”kept out of sight during certain period of time in a Kriya and why is it exposed during certain period of time in a Kriya or procedure. Each Alat is arranged on a “Hidora” in particular position only. Why is it always to be arranged in that manner only. Hidora= is stone platform where all utensils of Alat are kept arranged in particular manner only. The Athravan having passed fourth stage of Rathivashakar is proficient and an expert who knows the ritual significance behind such positioning of Alats on Hidora.
Reference :- Above images and notes on “What is Alat ?“ taken from Book “Learning Parsi Panu” by Ms. Silloo Mehta Page 67 & 69
What is Alat:- When a Physical thing is consecrated, it gets charged spiritually and is able to absorb the divine currents streaming down and is also able to emit powerful waves of divine energies which permeate the surrounding atmosphere. There are 33 Alats from various Kingdoms:
• 17 from the mineral kingdom such as Havanim and Lala ( mortar and pestle), Tashta (chalise or plates and cups), Barsam (metallic wires), Mahrui (Cresent shaped stands), Varas ni Viti (ring entwined with hair of Varasyaji), Ashtra or kaplo(knife), kundi and other vessels for water.
• 8 from the vegetable kingdom – Aiwyaonghana (leaf of date palm), Urvaram (twig of pomegranate tree), Darun(wheat mini-rotlis), Haoma twigs, Sukhad ( sandalwood) and Loban.
• 4 from animal kingdom such as jivam( goat’s milk), Goshuda (Ghee),Zaota and Rathvi (priests) and Varas (hair of Varasyaji tied to a ring).
• 4 elements represented by the Atash Dadgah, well water, wind and the Atash Kadeh building.
Each of the Alats, their shape, structure and number has special meaning and significance and contributes to achieving the goal of the ritual.
5) Havanan:- The fifth stage of Athravan in performing Yozdathregari is known as “Havanan”. Havanan= An Athravan who must be proficient in all Kriyas pertaining to Hom as mentioned below:- How and why Hom is to pounded. What is Hom, Para-Hom, Gokeren-Hom. Why is Hom given a very exalted status in Kriya, Why a Yozdathregar has to consume Hom orally during Kriya.
6) Atravax:- The sixth stage of Athravan in performing Yozdathregari is known as “Atravax”. Atravax= An Athravan who must be proficient in all Kriyas pertaining to Atash as mentioned below:- The significance of Atash in nature, Number of Atash existing in nature, and its individual functions in nature. How to lawfully consecrate an Atash Behram, Atash Adrian, and purpose behind such making. The function of Atash Behram, Atash Adrian in nature. How to perform Boi ceremony and Chak of an Atash Behram, and reason behind it.
7) Zaota:- An Athravan having gone through above six stages now comes to the seventh stage of Zaota. An Athravan only after reaching stage of Zaota becomes eligible to be Zoti in Yajashne Kriya.
An Athravan has to become proficient from above stages step by step only or “Pae dar Pae”;then can he perform Yajasne Kriya and become a “Jyoti”, and that too when he is under planetary effect of Jupiter or Burjis aspect, which is possible only when he reaches age of 52 years.
Note:- As per our Zarathosti deen a human child after being born till his death is influenced by various Planetary effects for a certain fixed period also known as “Karan”. During a sojourn of man’s life and as per “Zarvane Dareghkhadat” he comes under mentioned planetary influences in “Hashemi Zamanah” or era of Mars cycle that we mankind is generally living in. This rule of planetary effects explained below applies for all mankind:-
Hence an Athravan can be a Jyota or Zaota in Yajashne only when he has crossed 52 years of age when he will be receiving in abundance Jupiter planetary effects which are so very much essential whilst doing Yajashne.
Reference:- Mazdiyasni Zarathosti daen mujab Zarathosti Tarabyatni asal rudhi Page 96 to 98
Let us see what Bard Shakespeare has to say in his play “As you like it” written in year 1599.
All the world’s a stage,
And all men and women merely players:
They have their exits, and their entrances ;
And one man in his time plays many parts,
His act being seven ages. At first the infant,
Mewling and puking in the nurse’s arms;
And then, the whining schoolboy, with his satchel,
And shining morning face, creeping like snail,
Unwilling to school; And then the lover,
Sighing like furnace, with a woeful ballad,
Made to his mistress’ eye-brow, Then a soldier,
Full of strange oaths and bearded like the pard,
Jealous in honour, sudden and quick in quarrel,
Seeking the bubble reputation,
Even in the cannon’s mouth: And then the justice,
In fair round belly, with good capon lined,
With eyes severe, and beard of formal cut,
Full of wise saws and modern instances,
And so he plays his part: The sixth age shifts,
Into the lean and slipper’d pantaloon;
With spectacles on nose and pouch on side;
His youthful hose well saved, a world too wide,
For his shrunk shank; and his big manly voice,
Turning again towards childish treble, pipes
And whistle in his sound: Last scene of all,
That ends this strange eventful history,
Is second childishness, and mere oblivion;
Sans teeth, sans eyes, sans taste, sans everything.
The above mentioned details whose faint shadow can be seen in today’s modern Greek literature copied from the Persians like many other things. Click on the link:-
8) Shroshavarez:- The final stage that an Athravan reaches entitles him to be known as “Vada Dasturan Dastur”, or is also referred to as “Sahebe- Aleshan- Khandane-wala” (Z.Tarabyat ni asal rudhi Page 103) . For an Athravan to reach such an exalted stage he has to pass from all the above mentioned stages wherein he passes from all Kriya, he is knowledgeable of its Tavil and with meticulous details. He understands thoroughly the Yazads or Minoi power that he invokes during the Yajashne ceremony. Shroshavarez= Shrosh= Sarosh Yazad + Varej=functioning power who does the work = the doer. As per Philology the word can mean the one who invokes Sarosh Yazad and assists him in his functions by being an Humkar=hum=the one who attunes with the Minoi Power in his Karya= Kar. He can now hear the Celestial vibrations of Sarosh Yazad. In all the above mentioned stages proper “Bareshnoom” is very much essential and has special importance for a Kriya to be successful.
Firdosh K Sukhia